Where to Stay?—It Depends on Which Workshop you Attend.
HERE ARE SOME ACCOMMODATIONS TO CONSIDER.
The Monarch Hotel has long been our hotel of choice for workshop students. While it's a bit of a drive from our Vancouver workshop location, it has excellent rates.
“The Monarch Hotel offers great value to Palmer/Pletsch students. The rooms are lovely. If this hotel were in the city center, it would cost $200 a night.” — Pati Palmer
The hotel offers a shuttle bus that will ferry you to and from the airport as well as to nearby malls for no extra charge (the hotel is across the street from one of the best shopping malls in our area with a Nordstrom’s and a Macy’s and is also near a huge discount mall). All rooms have Serta Pillow Top beds and upgraded linens. You can get a pass for the local athletic club that is nearby. The hotel includes 192 rooms on 3 floors with elevators, restaurant, and lounge. The interior rooms face a courtyard and waterfall and are quieter. There is an outdoor seasonal swimming pool. There is an adjacent 20-mile paved jogging path and guest discount passes to nearby East SideAthletic Club. You can go to the hotel’s website to see the amenities.
To reserve a room at the Monarch, visit their website. We hope you will enjoy your stay and be rested for a fun and information-filled workshop!
ABOUT THE HOTEL:
- 192 clean and well-appointed guest rooms (includes 5 suites)
- Excellent long time staff and service
- Complimentary airport shuttle service and on-site parking
- de Fuego Grille and Whiskey Bar www.defuegogrille.com – Completely remodeled with stunning new furnishings, de Fuego Grille also features an expanded selection of whiskey and wine (NEW) and excellent Banquet services for groups
- Lobby – Recently updated, using vibrant colors and natural wood
- Café – Located next to the lobby, offers delicious and healthy “grab and go” items.
- Elegant and Fun Jazz Club called the Underground — https://www.defuegogrille.com/
the-underground — serving high end steaks.
- Fitness Center for guests who plan to exercise while traveling
- Spacious and inviting outdoor swimming pool and outdoor patio dining with summer entertainment
The hotel rate includes:
- Airport pickup at baggage claim. For pickup areas and wait time call 1-800-492-8700 after collecting luggage. Vans say Monarch on the side.
- Amtrak pickup. For pickup in Oregon City, three miles away, call the number above. (There is no pay phone at the train station; please use your cell phone.) From the downtown Portland Amtrak Station, take the MAX Green Line to Clackamas Town Center and call the hotel for pick-up.
- Room service from 6:00am to 9:00pm. Food is available in the lounge until 2:00am .
- In-room coffee pot, regular ironing board, iron, hairdryer, refrigerator, and data ports for you laptop. Laundry valet and/or self-service facilities, fax and copy service are available. (A washer and dryer in are the hotel in case you need to preshrink fabric.)
- Free local calls and free Wi-Fi.
- Safety deposit boxes at front desk and an ATM on property.
There are several restaurants and malls within walking distance. If you are taking the Fit Workshop, you might go to Nordstrom and get a bra fitted to you. Check out the Walco brand.
If you want to be closer to workshops held at Sew-Op, across the river in Vancouver, Washington:
This hotel, across from Esther Short Park in downtown Vancouver, is .7 miles from the workshop location.
301 W 6th St.,
Vancouver, WA 98660
They are offering a special discounted rate to Palmer/Pletsch workshop attendees. The best 3 ways to make reservations are:
1. ONLINE: Use THIS LINK for 2022/2023 or GO TO OUR WEBSITE and enter the special code N3378085 (Under Special Rates à Corporate Account).
2. SEND AN EMAIL to our reservation team: PDXVA_Res@Hilton.com
3. CALL our reservations department: 360-993-4500 ext. 1 – ask for “Palmer Pletsch” rate
This is a 1908 Craftsman style home listed on the Local Historic Register. This inn is within easy walking distance from the workshop location (8 blocks).
314 W 11th St.
Vancouver, WA 98660
This hotel is located on the Columbia River, 2.2 miles from the workshop location. A scenic promenade along the river leads to a pedestrian walkway into downtown Vancouver.
701 SE Columbia Shores Blvd.
Vancouver, WA 98661
This rustic hotel has lots of character, but you’ll need transportation to the workshop, since it is 4.9 miles away.
7801 NE Greenwood Dr.
Vancouver, WA 98662
Uber and Lyft are the most reasonable ways to get to these locations from the airport.
If you want to be closer to workshops held at Coolhand Studio in Southeast Portland, we suggest the following guesthouses:
THE DIVISION INNS
3860 SE Clinton St., Portland, Oregon 97202
Reception: 503-206-6509 or toll free 877-600-6509
3517 SE Division St., Portland, Oregon 97202
Reception: 503-235-3089 or toll free 866-717-4333